Built to the design of Enrico Zuccall, the Baroque structure dating back to the 18th century can still be admired today. The central structure with its dodecagonal layout is impressive not least because of the extraordinary stucco decoration crafted by Johann Baptist Zimmermann and Johann Georg Üblherr, along with the frescoed ceiling showing the Benedictine heaven and their most important saints under the Holy Trinity.
The circumstance that this beautiful work of architecture has been preserved is remarkable in view of the abbey's varied history: Founded by ex-communicated Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian in 1330, the abbey experienced its heyday in the 17th and 18th centuries due to the pilgrimage to "Our Dear Patroness of Ettal" and the famous Knights' Academy of Ettal. After a fire in the year 1744, the monastery was rebuilt in the contemporary Baroque style. Secularisation in the year 1803 interrupted completion of the monastery, and indeed the entire existence of the monastery itself for almost a century. At the initiative of Baron von Cramer-Klett, the monks of the Scheyern Abbey were able to resettle in the Ettal Abbey in 1900. The educational tradition of the Benedictine monks was finally resumed in 1903 when the Gymnasium secondary school and boarding school there were reopened.
Benediktinerabtei Ettal (Ettal Abbey)