The Andechs Abbey on the sacred mountain on the eastern shore of the Ammersee Lake – the oldest and second largest pilgrimage site after Altötting – can already be seen from a distance. This abbey church decorated in the Rococo style by Johann Baptist Zimmermann is still an important pilgrimage site today. The Andechs Abbey gained yet another attraction when the Wittelsbach dynasty established their family cemetery on its grounds in 1977 and, again when the famous composer, Carl Orff, was later buried here.
Next to the cemetery, the abbey's tavern developed into a magnet for tourists and locals alike due to its good food and the self-brewed beer from the abbey's own brewery. The famous German humourist and poet, Wilhelm Busch, liked to stop in at the Andechs Abbey in his younger years and he even wrote down his impressions of the place, forming part of his work titled "Pious Helene": "High from a richly blessed place, the tavern and chapel beckon [...]."
The facility has been run by Benedictine monks since 1455. Before that, it belonged to the Counts of Andechs. However, when the direct line of descendants ended in 1248, the Wittelsbacher dynasty destroyed the castle and the adjoining chapel. The church was then rebuilt in 1270 and soon developed into a pilgrimage site. The present-day abbey was later built to provide room and board for the pilgrims.
Kloster Andechs (Andechs Abbey)