Hohenschwangau Castle

© Neuschwanstein Hotels & Events

THE FAIRYTALE KING’S NURSERY

The Hohenschwangau Castle has a very long history. It was first mentioned as the Schwanstein Castle in the 12th century. It was in the possession of the Knights of Schwangau until the 16th century and changed owners multiple times thereafter. It was repeatedly damaged in various wars.
In 1832, King Maximilian II, the father of King Ludwig II, purchased it and had it rebuilt in the Neo-Gothic style according to the original plans. The interior of the castle from the Biedermeier period was not altered. The Bavarian royal family used it as their summer palace and hunting residence. Not only did King Ludwig II spend his childhood here, he also used it as a summer residence until his death in 1886.

Opening hours

Mon. to Sun. 8:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Thurs. 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM
(April to September)

Mon. to Sun. 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM
(October to March)

Contact

Schlossverwaltung Hohenschwangau
Alpseestr. 24
87645 Schwangau
Germany

Telephone: +49 (0)8362 81127
Fax: +49 (0)8362 887102
www.hohenschwangau.de

Search & Book

Weather

Das Wetter in Murnau